The Singapore-MIT Alliance for Research and Technology (SMART) is a leading research centre in Asia established by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the National Research Foundation (NRF) of Singapore to identify and conduct research on critical problems of societal significance for today and the future.
Exemplifying the MIT spirit of research excellence and Singapore’s commitment to R&D, SMART advances high-impact research within and beyond CREATE, building strategic partnerships with universities, research institutes, hospitals, government agencies and industry.
SMART fosters a creative and collaborative environment that stimulates major discoveries through its interdisciplinary structure. Its three Interdisciplinary Research Groups (IRGs) are as follows:
SMART also consists of the SMART Innovation Centre - the translational research arm of SMART - which is modelled after MIT’s Deshpande Center. It uses Adaptive Innovation to assist researchers from Singapore to pursue novel avenues of market-driven research and helps accelerate their innovations toward commercialisation.
SMART at a glance
- First CREATE entity, established in 2007
- First, and to-date largest, MIT research centre outside the US
- Engages about 330 MIT & Singapore researchers
- In the NEWS for its breakthroughs and discoveries
- Collaborates with universities, research institutes, hospitals, government agencies and industry
- Offers opportunity to work with MIT faculty, researchers and students
- Offers Innovation Grants to inspire commercialisation
Download the SMART AMR IRG Factsheet
Download the SMART BioSyM IRG Factsheet
Download the SMART CENSAM IRG Factsheet
Download the SMART DISTAP IRG Factsheet
Download the SMART FM IRG Factsheet
Download the SMART ID IRG Factsheet
Download the SMART LEES IRG Factsheet
Download the SMART Innovation Centre Factsheet
General Line: +65 6516 8603
Where to Find Us
1 CREATE Way
Search for “Singapore MIT Alliance”